Saturday, December 4, 2010

Let Rhymes be Rhymes!

Maybe Jack didn't really go up the hill with Jill to fetch a pail of water. And maybe the diamond in the sky isn't just about a star. And just maybe Goosey Goosey Gander is about prostitution and Sing a song Of Six Pence about Henry VIII.
Aren't our precious little worlds complicated enough for us to actually dwell centuries back and figure out the sexual, political and moral implications of the SIMPLE nursery rhymes our children learn today.
Do we really need to complicate and pollute the rhymes we joyfully learned and sang all through kindergarten and more?
Aren't our lives messy enough that we need to kill the Joy of rhymes too for us?
Ok, so some brilliant historian/philosopher/literary genius figured this "quite in the open" mystery. What do you want us to do??? applaud?? congratulate?? for ruining even the simplest thing we could call ours?
I'm happier thinking bah bah black sheep was just some lame rhyme kids came up with during their play time rather than understanding the taxation woes of 12th Century England.
Maybe I'm just being hypocritical considering History is closer to me than to most of the people. Being a student of History, such amazing "discoveries" should enchant me. But they don't. I know the history. I know what happened between Henry the VIII and the church, or how Mary Antoinette was shamed.
What I need to know is that the world can be simple again. I can't seem to stress on this word enough "SIMPLE".

No comments:

Post a Comment